"As we have been searching for a home for many months, it has been difficult fighting discouragement. I have been telling my family that the right house and the right people would happen in Gods time. We are truly blessed. Our prayers were answered! Thank you for everything, Wendy. We are very, very, very happy!"
Manufactured vs Modular
Manufactured Homes vs Modular Homes
Most people are familiar with Manufactured Homes (singlewides and doublewides). What most people aren’t so familiar with are Modular Homes. We get asked “What’s the difference?” on a daily basis. It can be confusing! We broke it down and listed some of the significant similarities and differences. If you still can’t decide what building system will be the best for your project, contact our sales specialists!
SIMILARITIES BETWEEN MODULAR AND MANUFACTURED HOMES
Manufactured and Modular are both:
- Built-in environment controlled factories – that means you never have to worry about you building materials getting wet or warped by weather changes!
- Are stable structures because they have to hold up to the transporting to the final destination. There have been some independent studies of homes after natural disasters (tornadoes, hurricanes) The factory-built homes have quite a bit less damage than dwellings built on site.
- Assembled at the site by local contractors.
- On-site assembly at the home site lasts only a few hours to a few days instead of months like site-built homes.
- Because the factories build so many of these homes, they produce very little waste. Waste reduction helps keep the prices low (and helps the environment). Unlike site-built homes that have dumpsters for their waste, a typical factory-built home only produces enough waste to fill a 55-gallon trash can.
- More cost-effective than “site-built” homes.
WHAT SETS MANUFACTURED HOMES APART?
- Are built on a permanent steel frame.
- Are transported on the homes own wheels and axels.
- The most square feet for the money.
- Are constructed to meet U.S. Department of Housing and Urban Development (HUD) codes.
- Are sometimes financed differently than MODULAR or Site Built homes.
- When a MANUFACTURED home is appraised, the value is determined by what other MANUFACTURED homes have sold for in the area.
- Because these homes have a steel frame, they don’t require a full crawlspace (unless needed by township). They can go on slabs, piers. For more information on foundations, click here to go our SITE CONSTRUCTION page. Because of that, they can also go into Manufactured Homes Communities.
- Due to the natural mobility of these homes, we offer pre-owned doublewides and singlewides!
- When going on top of a crawlspace or basement, these homes require cross beams (9-foot walls for basements).
- Standard roof pitch for a MANUFACTURED home is 3/12 (rarely, townships do require an upgraded 5/12 roof).
- Sometimes there are building restrictions for manufactured homes when they are being placed on private property.
- View our catalogs to see what floor plans we have available!
WHAT SETS MODULAR HOMES APART?
- When ordering a MODULAR, the factory needs to know what state the home will be going. Then, they are built to meet (and often exceed) the local and state codes of the home-site.
- Sections are transported to the building site on steel carriers which they are taken off from when set on their foundation.
- Not restricted by building or zoning regulations.
- They’re incredibly energy efficient.
- They are viewed as traditional homes when financing and applying for building permits.
- Modular homes are typically permanent and therefore, are not readily available as “used modulars.” (If you are looking for used homes, check out our pre-owned doublewide and singlewide selection.)
- When MODULAR homes are appraised, the value is determined by what other site-built homes have sold for in the area.
- Because there is no steel frame, these homes need to go on a real foundation (either crawlspace or basement).
- MODULAR homes typically save tens of thousands of dollars when compared apples-to-apples with site-built homes.
- View the Heritage and Freedom catalogs to see what MODULAR floor plans we have available for you!
My wife and I purchased a home from Preferred to place on land. The experience was fantastic and the home is beautiful. Everyone from the Sales person to the other office girls, Mary & Sherri, through the Set-up, Service, Drywall crews and the owner went above and beyond in every area! I would HIGHLY recommend Preferred to everyone I know and if we ever planned to move again we would order from Preferred and do it over again.
Matt and the staff at Preferred Mobile Homes do an excellent job getting back to me when I contact them about our mutual clients. Their service is always top notch and professional. I would recommend Preferred Mobile Homes to everyone I know. Great job team!
We are currently in the process of having our new home finished with Preferred Homes. It has been delivered and the outside has been put together and finished. We are still in the process of having the inside done. So far we are really happy with Preferred and all the crews that they have had do work for us. We would recommend purchasing from them. The sales staff was very helpful in dealing with the factory and us. We did a custom floor plan and they were very accommodating with the living arrangement we were looking for.
Totally amazing staff!!!! Homes were staged JUST LIKE HOME!!! Never seen anything other mobile home store like it!!!! Amazing place. Would definitely recommend. Thank you for your knowledgeable help!!!!!
We absolutely love our home. We had a thunderstorm a couple of weeks ago and our dog is big time afraid and shakes, well we couldn't even hear the thunder in our house!!!!! I could not believe it. Built very solid.
I have personally know the founder, Kim Arnold, since the late 70's. You are not going to find a more honest person to deal with or to buy a home from. My family has been in the manufactured home business since 1961. We have always referred people to Preferred if and when they need something we can't help them with. They have hauled dozens of homes for us over the last 40 years. Always with a handshake and a smile. If your looking for a new manufactured home, go see the fine people at Preferred. Tell them Bill sent you.
We currently are going thru the process with them and it has been awesome. Really good customer service...right before we closed on the house I ended up going into labor and had a baby. They sent flowers and a teddy bear to the house we are currently living in. Extremely thoughtful!!!! Has gone above and beyond would extremely recommend them. Even some bumps in the road we have hit they always make it right...awesome people!
We just toured homes and signed papers for purchase of one yesterday! Tim was so helpful, and didn’t try to push us to purchase. He was very knowledgeable about the homes we viewed, and I’m looking forward to working with the rest of their staff in completing our journey in purchasing our new home!
The staff at Preferred were all so amazing! Thanks for getting us into our dream home!
Your office staff was very helpful. The set-up crew was very careful and conscientious to detail. Thank you for helping us get a beautiful home! It was a pleasure working with you all!
The office personnel was very helpful and friendly. Thank you for the courteous service.